Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Inspiration Number Two: Mom

(Picture to Come Soon)

SUZIE KINGSLEY
But I just call her MOM

Compassionate, Friendly if I've ever Known It

I know that you may be thinking either A: Why wasn't your mom number one? or B: Oh and she pulled the mom card, had to say her mom... but hear me out.

Born Emma Suzanne Cating, "Suzie" is my mom, and she has been all my life. This would explain why she has had the very most influence on who I have become thus far. If I am ever friendly, ever talkative, ever look into the eyes of another person and feel their pain, love, joy, or frustration... It's because of my mom.

My mom is one of those people that knows everyone, not because she's in a women's league and spends her days waltzing around town dressed to the T mingling in social circles, but because no matter where she is, whatever she is doing, however busy or frustrated she may be, she takes the time to jump into someone else's life.

Growing up we'd go to the same grocery store and my mom could compliment the cashier on her newest homemade headband, ask about the lady's son and daughter, and that new dog they just bought and I would wonder how in the worl she knew all this. They weren't old friends from high school and my mom didn't know her from some otherplace... but everytime my mom came to the store she would ask the lady about her life and always end with "Have a nice day!"

My mom is famous for the "Have a nice day!" and the "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." She lives her life looking for ways she can help others, but not by simply donating money, but donating a part of her life, time, or caring to take an extra minute. She makes birthday cards for people at church, she makes special brownies when someone has had a hard week, she helps the cleaning lady pack up the old blinds that were being thrown away because they would look nice in her house but she wasn't tall enough to reach them by herself.

If you ever meet my mom, she will talk you ear off. I'm not lying, if you meet either of us, we will both make your ear literally plead for silence, but she cares.

As I've grown up in the world, learning these things from my mom has put me in some interesting situations: because honestly I cannot comprehend or understand why someone would be rude or why someone would not want to do everything they could to help another person. I understand frustration, because my mother also raised me to be patient, and that means being patient with those who have had about enough... but why would anyone talk in a rude tone to get a point across. Don't we all stop listening when someone is rude and we all get more frustrated when someone yells...

Suzie Kingsley is mom, a friend, someone who makes bags for the trainers away football games, who does puzzles everynight, who bakes cookies when friends came to study, who can laugh and cut up like a 5 year old when warranted, and who love me and everyone she comes in contact with in a way I've never seen before.

I grow up better everyday because of who my mom was and is to me:
Suzie Kingsley: Mom: Compassionate and Incredibly Friendly

No comments:

Post a Comment