Wednesday, February 3, 2010

So what is a Doppelganger?

So, sure, I'm on facebook... who isn't? And I've seen lately that my friends have new obsessions with celebrities, and wonder who my friends have gotten so into celebrity pictures... then someone explains that recently a new trend is to change your profile picture to a celebrity that you look like. Oh! now I get it.

So I look up "doopelganger" to see what that actually means. And here's what that reliable source called wikipedia gave me:

In the vernacular, the word "doppelgänger" has come to refer (as in German) to any double or look-alike of a person. The word is also used to describe the sensation of having glimpsed oneself in peripheral vision, in a position where there is no chance that it could have been a reflection. They are generally regarded as harbingers of bad luck. In some traditions, a doppelgänger seen by a person's friends or relatives portends illness or danger, while seeing one's own doppelgänger is an omen of death. In Norse mythology, a vardøger is a ghostly double who precedes a living person and is seen performing their actions in advance.

A little creepy, if you ask me.

But the funny part is that I seem to have a 'twin' at work. See I'm an intern right now at a hospital. One one of my first days I had other staff members seeing me int he hall and saying "hey! how have you been?" like they were catching up with someone they already knew. I felt bad for not knowing these people, so I smiled and talked to them anyway. Some of my fellow nutrition staff finally told me that I look just like one of the case managers, who wears the same color scrubs as me, has the same color and cut of hair, is tall, younger, etc.

So today I'm on the 7th floor where she apparently works and someone says "Christy!" and I'm thinking wel I'll the only other person in this hall, who is she talking to. then again, "Christy!" and so I turn around, double take, and turn around even again... so confused.

The "Christy"-yelling girl found me today and explained that I just looked like her friend Christy who also works int he hospital. If she mistook me for her friend, no wonder people all over the hopsital seem to know me.

So my doppelganger, sorry, is not a famous rock star, or actress, but a case manager at the state hospital... but who no doubt is probably wonderful.

Funny thing is, I've never met her.

No comments:

Post a Comment